Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The D Day

I walked into the delivery suite at 5pm and I was lying on bed after enema. My blood was sent for routine investigations. And there enters my husband into the suite. Looked like he had brought half home in. But it was great feel like home. My obtetrician came in and began labour induction by placing a tablet pervaginally. I was relaxed in toto. But this time my mom and Arun were worried. We called everybody back home India as we ( my hubby and me) had decided to deliver our baby here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where we both were working.

Soon the time just rolled on. It was dinner time. Had royal dinner. Still no pains. My doctor visited me 3rd time and said probably the baby would be out the next day. So have a good sleep. On per vaginal examination: It was 3 finger only dilated. After he left I started having severe contraction pains. I got out of bed started walking around. I had continuous urge to defecate. The pain was crossing my threshold which is normally very high. I sat on a couch and said let me go for epidural anesthesia.

Next moment the anesthetist was in. What a relief after epi. The nurses were so friendly and accommodative. They comforted me. Kept hot water bags around my back. I was shivering following epi. It is one of the side effects. But my BP was ok. Another side effect of epi is hypotension which I did not go into. Now there was an alarming sign!!! As soon I was connected to fetal monitor. My baby’s heart rate had fell down tremendously. It should be maintained around 140-150bpm instead the moniter showed 45-50bpm. It did not pick after 5 minutes. The efficient matron discussed with my husband( who is also a doc) felt there should be urgent interventions at this moment.

The matron next minute called Dr Andy ( my obstetrician). He was there within no time. Ok we are doing emergency C- section. I couldnt believe what was going on? All the while we were making our minds for normal vaginal delivery and now we hear the "C" word! I pleaded..please.. lets wait for normal. There was no time to hear my cry. I was pulled inside OT at 12.15 am.

Inside, I met the same anesthetist in OT… He said ''Hey Shilpa… How come.. ?? I felt like telling its all grace of your epidural n u. My husband was not allowed in as it was emergency procedure and not enough staff would be in to take care of OT visitors. I was rushed to OT table. I felt I was in heaven .. Can see everything but do not know what is happening down there my body.


At 12.25 am on 15th of January 2010 my baby was out. She didn’t cry immediately but after a while when she was tapped .. She woke from sleep and gave her first cry. I could see her getting cleaned. And couldn’t believe its my baby . She was immediately brought to me and put on my chest. I hugged her and couldn’t stop my tears of happiness. I gave her first kiss. And said ‘Happy birthday Dear Sia’ She surprised me by responding to my voice just opened her eyes looked around and again went back to sleep.




This day is still so vivid and wonderful when I think back. I felt whole world at my feet.
The credit for this goes firstly to my adorable 2nd half who has been such great supporter my whole of pregnancy. He made my each day memorable from packing my lunch bag with variety foods to satisfying my mid night hunger pranks. He also surprised me with few 1st time mummy gifts. We went on holidays quite often which kept me very happy. The 2nd person who has been great support during my entire pregnancy is my mother. Without her I could nt have understood few dos and donts of pregnancy. Both of them have been great support emotionally.

No comments: